Writing An Autobiography
Many of us would love to write our autobiography, but would it be interesting and could we find a publisher for it?
If you’ve lead an exciting or interesting life and think others would be interested to read about it why not write your autobiography?
Before you do put pen to paper there are a few things you have to remember:
- Just because you think your life is interesting, it may not appeal to others outside of your family and friends.
- It is wise to change some facts and points about certain people if they are not looked upon favourably to save yourself a libel action in the future.
A few questions to ask yourself before writing your autobiography:
- Do you really want everyone to know all about your life?
- Will you be completely truthful or leave certain parts of your life out?
- Will you write about your entire life?
- Are you going to include people who may object to being included?
- Will you change the names of those who are not looked upon favourably?
- Will it be interesting to people?
As it will be your own work about yourself it is up to you whether to be completely truthful, or decide to leave certain parts out. However, don’t make the manuscript seem too sanitised, as the reader will inevitably lose interest.
Most publishers today are unwilling to touch a book about someone’s entire life, and are more interested in certain snippets of interesting parts of a person's life. But if your life story is so good that the publisher can’t put it down then there will be a publisher who will jump at publishing it. Unless you are a famous person or in the public eye, it will be hard to sell the book however.
Of course, not all of us, after writing our autobiography, want to get it published. Writing your life story can have many other benefits such as proving therapeutic, it can help you get to know yourself better and it can help your family understand and appreciate you. Often autobiographies are written at a retirement age when the writer has the time and experiences to devote the book.