Freelance Writing Employment :15 Magazines That Pay Freelance Writers
Employment for freelance writers! With so many freelance writers in the world it often seems that there aren't enough magazines that pay decent compensation for their writers. Or is there?
Magazines and publications are being born every hour of the day. At just the same rate journals are folding due to lack of subscribers/sales. With the wealth of freelance markets out there writers can virtually pick and choose which to submit to. The big name magazines that have been around for many years often have the biggest budget as they are usually sponsored or have other means of economy.
For the smaller, lesser-known magazines they barely can afford to pay for the general running of the publication, and unfortunately writers and contributors are at the bottom of the list when it comes to compensation.
This is a known fact. However without contributors I doubt if the magazines would be publishing.
The smaller magazines struggle against all odds to keep the magazines going, often at the editor’s own expense. These publications run solely upon subscribers and sales. Although often shunned by professional writers as not professional, these are the seeds of the glossy magazines being sold on the newsagent’s shelves.
There are a few magazines still paying great money to their writers, to keep up-to-date with their requirements and needs from their writers it is mandatory to buy a copy of the publication every so often. Many new writers do not do this, and this is where they are losing out.
1. Writers’ Forum. Briggs House, 26 Commercial Road, Poole, BH14 0JR, UK. A ‘How-to magazine which welcomes articles on the craft of writing. Pays £75 per article.
2. Chatelaine. Maclean Hunter Building, 777 Bay St, Toronto, Canada M5W 1A7. Chatelaine is a popular women’s magazine in Canada. Designed for 25-55 year old mothers and wives. Seeks features of a Cosmopolitan feel. Payment: £500 per 1000 words.
3. Readers Digest 11 Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf London E14 4HE, UK. Anecdotes and humorous stories about the workplace/life in general. Payment: up to £200.
4. Playboy 680 North Shore Drive, Chicago IL 60611, USA. Monthly print magazine that publishes mystery, suspense, SF, humour fiction. Payment: From £1200-£3000.
5. London Review of Books. 28 Little Russell Street, London WC1A 2HN. A literary and political magazine including essay-length book reviews. Payment: £100 per 1000 words.
6. Company. National Magazine House, 72 Broadwick Street, London W1V 2BP, UK. Glossy women’s magazine for intelligent young women. Payment: £250 per 1000 words.
7. Bizarre. John Brown Publishing, The New Boathouse, 136-142 Bramley Road, London W10 6SR, UK. Monthly magazine seeking amazing stories and images from around the world. Payment: £120 per 1000 words.
8. Bella. H. Bauer Publishing, Shirley House, 25-27 Camden Road, London NW1 9LL, UK. A women’s magazine specialising in true-life tales and features. Payment for fiction: £300 per 1000 words.
9. Woman’s Weekly. IPC Magazines Ltd, King’s Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS, UK. A weekly women’s true-life magazine seeking features and stories with an uplifting theme. Payment: £250 per 1000 words.
10. Weight Watchers Magazine. 175-179 John Street, London EC1V 4RP, UK. An inspiring and informative magazine for those seeking to lose weight. Features only. Payment: £400 per 1000 words.
11. Eve. 1811 Hong Kong Plaza, 188 Connaught Road West, Hong Kong. An attractively designed glossy magazine catering to the needs of rich young women in Hong Kong. Features that would feel at home in any women’s magazine are sought. Payment: up to £1000 per 1000 words.
12. Take A Break. Shirley House, 25-27 Camden Road, London NW1 9LL, UK. A true-life magazine aimed at women. Payment: approx. £250 per 1000 words.
13.Chat. King’s Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS. A weekly general interest women’s magazine. Payment for features: up to £600.
14.Management Today. 174 Hammersmith Road, London W6 7JP, UK. A general business magazine covering topics and features. Payment: £300 per 1000 words.
15.New Scientist. 1st Floor 151 Wardour Street, London W1V 4BN, UK. A science-based weekly magazine with features, news and reviews. Payment: £200 upward per 1000 words.