How To Pray The Rosary
Many Catholics don't remember how to pray the rosary. Others never learned. Here's how to pray the rosary step by step.
Have you ever seen the bumper sticker that says: “Pray the rosary.”?
The thing is many Catholics don’t remember how to pray the rosary or perhaps never learned. Don’t know how to pray the rosary? Here’s how step by step:
1. Holding onto the rosary’s crucifix, make the Sign of the Cross. “In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.” With each additional step, advance one bead of the rosary.
2. Say the Apostles Creed, which begins “I believe in God, the Father Almighty Creator of heaven and earth ...”
3. Say the Our Father, which begins “Our Father, who art in heaven ...”
4. Say three Hail Marys, “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee ...”
5. Say the Glory Be, which begins “Glory be to the Father, to the Son and to the Holy Spirit ...”
6. Reflect on the First Joyful Mystery — The Annunciation. The Angel Gabriel appear to Mary, telling her she is to be the Mother of God.
7. Say the Our Father.
8. Say ten Hail Marys
9. Say the Glory Be
10. Reflect on the Second Joyful Mystery — The Visitation. Elizabeth greets Mary, saying “Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of Thy Womb.”
11. Say the Our Father.
12. Say ten Hail Marys.
13. Say the Glory Be.
14. Reflect on the Third Joyful Mystery — The Nativity. The Virgin Mary gives birth to the Savior of the World, Jesus.
15. Say the Our Father.
16. Say ten Hail Marys.
17. Say the Glory Be.
18. Reflect on the Fourth Joyful Mystery — The Presentation. Mary, the Blessed Mother, presents Jesus in the temple.
19. Say the Our Father.
20. Say ten Hail Marys.
21. Say the Glory Be.
22. Reflect on the Fifth Joyful Mystery — The finding of Jesus in the temple. Mary finds Jesus in the temple.
23. Say the Our Father.
24. Say ten Hail Marys.
25. Say the Glory Be.
26. Say the Hail Holy Queen, “Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness, our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of Thy Womb, Jesus; O clement, O loving sweet Virgin Mary.”
27. Say your own closing prayer, reflecting and meditating upon the mysteries.