Dog Biscuits Recipe
Try this recipe for homemade dog biscuits. Treat your puppy like a king. An easy, delicious recipe that's better than the bones you get from the butcher.
Just think about how many times you’ve been greeted at the door after a long, tedious day at work by a warm friendly face and a wagging tail. Your dog is sometimes truly your best friend. He’s there when you need him (and even when you don’t need him,) and he always seems to know just what you’ll need to make you feel better.
It is true that the dog is man’s best friend.
Now it’s time to say man is dog’s best friend, too.
And here’s a great way to do that.
Store bought dog treats are fine. Even the special bone from the butcher is a great treat. But HOMEMADE dog biscuits in the shape of PEOPLE or CATS or even in the shape of human cookies is one your dog will love and you will love making it for him, too.
¼ cup hot tap water
8 chicken bouillon cubes
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 ½ cups tomato juice
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups wheat germ
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Pour water into a large bowl and add the chicken bouillon cubes. Crush them with a fork. Stir in the yeast and let it stand for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato juice, 1 cup all purpose flour, and the wheat germ to the liquid. Stir with a large spoon to form a smooth batter.
4. Stir in the remaining all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. The dough will be very stiff and dry.
5. Use your hands to knead the dough.
6. Sprinkle flour on a cutting board. Take some of the dough (a few handfuls) and work it into a small ball shape. Then roll and flatten the ball to about ¼ inch thickness on the cutting board. (Sticky dough may require more flour.)
7. Using a sharp knife, cut out people shapes. Think of a stick figure and make it two-dimensional. All you need is a head, two arms and two legs, and you have a human shape. You can also use old fashioned cookie cutters or a glass to make a cookie shaped circle.
8. Rework the dough to make more dog biscuits.
9. Use a spatula to put the biscuits onto a cookie sheet.
10. Cook in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour.
11. Let them dry in the turned off oven for at least four hours.
Serve these yummy treats to your best friend with a big, cool bowl of water.