Work At Home Scams
Work at home:opportunity or scam? What do you need to look out for to make sure you're not getting ripped off when it comes to work at home offers?
Work-at-home schemes take on a variety of forms. But there's one common underlying theme: they all promise you big bucks by working at home on your own hours. And, usually, they say it's easy to do.
What you need to know is that becoming rich does not happen overnight for 99 percent of the population. The other 1 percent either wins the lottery, makes an unusually incredible stock purchase, or has inherited a large amount of money. Here are some different work-at-home schemes and what you need to know about them.
• Mail Order Schemes. These schemes tell you you can make a whole lot of money by selling things through the mail. You simply pay an initial investment fee and you'll be able to sit at home and watch the money waltz through your door. But keep in mind that no one can promise that you can make money that easily with no previous experience.
• Internet Schemes. An ad in the newspaper tells you you can make money at home by working for an Internet company that can't afford to have people in their own offices. You simply pay a fee for a guide they'll send you about how to do it yourself. There's nothing illegitimate about the guide. You really can make money working from home. But it's not as simple, easy, and profitable as the ad would lead you to believe.
• Multi-level Marketing Schemes. It involves you getting involved with a business that's usually local, that promises to help you make money by selling products that other members of the business are required to buy. There's nothing illegal about it, and it can be profitable if you're on the upper level of one of these schemes. But many people lose a lot of money.
• Envelope Stuffing Schemes. You're told you can make hundreds–even thousands–of dollars each week simply by stuffing envelopes. But this scheme involves you sending money to people above you on the scheme's list. Then you simply send a letter to 100 or 1,000 people encouraging them that they can make money if they simply send you and the others on the list money. But what they don't tell you is that very few people really fall for the scheme, and you end up spending more money on postage than you are earning.