How To Give Yourself A Home Manicure
Don't bother spending tons of money having your manicure done in a salon. This article shows you how to do one at home inexpensively.
What You'll Need:
nail polish remover
warm soapy water
1. Remove any old nail polish from your nails.
2. Soak your hands and nails in the warm soapy water for five to ten minutes. This loosens up your cuticles and removes any extra nail polish.
3. Dry your hands. Use the emery board to gently file your nails, smoothing away ragged edges. File in one direction only; avoid a sawing motion, as this will weaken your nails and cause breakage. The nail shape that is the strongest is a slightly rounded tip with square edges.
4. Using a cuticle pusher (it resembles a pencil eraser and can be found in drug stores) gently push back your cuticles. Do NOT cut them. Cutting the nail cuticle is not necessary and often leads to infections and hangnails.
5. Massage your hands and fingers with hand lotion. When done, use a cotton ball to remove excess lotion from your nails.
6. Apply a base coat to your nails. Let dry.
7. Apply a coat of colored nail polish to your nails. Do not use excessive amounts of polish as this will lead to smudging and globbing. Let this coat dry. You can apply a second coat if desired.
Done! You should now have beautifully manicured nails. If you need them to dry quickly, try sticking your hands in the freezer. Repeat your manicure once a week. Remember to moisturize your hands regularly!