You Are At: AllSands Home > Lifestyles > Overseas Marriage
To get married abroad can be a wonderful idea for a variety of reasons.
One, you definitely have a unique ceremony. Two, you can honeymoon in the
very same place. Three, it will be a once in a life time experience. There
are many more reasons. As long as you research the legalities and follow
the rules, you can have a wonderful wedding overseas. The following rules
apply to current American citizens.

Where can you marry abroad?
Not all countries in the world allow foreign citizens to marry. Other
countries will let a foreign citizen marry a present citizen of the country
you are in. If you want to find out if the country you plan to marry in
allows foreign citizens to marry you can contact the American Embassy in
that country. Another way to find out is to contact the State Department
via mail at: Overseas Citizens Services, Room 4811, Department of State,
Washington, D.C. 20520.
Many countries have similar requirements to get married, as we do here in
America. Make sure you know all that is required before you go to that
country to marry.

What do you need to do before traveling?
Most likely any country you plan to get married in will want all the
necessary American documents authenticated. These will likely include your
birth certificate, passport, and divorce decrees. You will need to mail
these to the embassy of that country here in America. Also, by doing this
they will inform you of any further documentation you may need.

Will your marriage be valid in America?
This is only a real concern to persons planning on returning. If you do
plan to return, this is definitely something to consider. Usually. All
marriages performed abroad involving American citizens are valid in the
United States. However, if you want to be absolutely certain, you can have
your marriage certificate authenticated at the American Embassy in that
country. It costs about thirty-five dollars.