Tips For Restoring Furniture
Tips for restoring furniture: instructions on how to make an old piece of furniture sparkle again.
My house was full of old furniture that had been painted out of date colors. I was ready for a new look, but couldn't afford to go out and buy all new furniture. So, how did this amateur turn ugly looking furniture into trendy eye-catchers? Here are the step-by-step instructions on how you can do it too.
What You'll Need:
How To Do It:
1) You'll need to remove any old paint from your furniture. The best way to do this is to take a dull paring knife, or buy a scraping utensil, and remove the majority of paint from your furniture.
2) Apply the paint stripper to your furniture, and remove excess paint with steel wool. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area. I recommend doing these projects outdoors. Be sure you are wearing rubber gloves and a facial mask if you are indoors.
3) Once your furniture has dried for an hour, you can apply your first coat of paint. I suggest picking a neutral tone that will not be out of style in a few months.
4) Re-apply several coats until desired look is achieved.
5) Using stencils, or sponges, you can create different designs on your furniture to give it a homey feel. I have used ivy on my living room furniture, and stars and moons for my children's furniture.
The possibilities are endless with this project. Visit your local craft store and you are bound to come up with numerous ideas.