Romantic Homemade Gift Ideas
A special occasion is coming up. You want to get something good, but you're broke. Here are some ideas for inexpensive gifts that you can make yourself that won't break the bank.
A special occasion is coming up very soon and you want to get something really unique and romantic for your sweetie, but you're broke. What are you going to do? If you had the money, you'd like to go all out and get something really big and expensive for your sweetie. Diamonds... jewelry... autographed jerseys ... but who are you kidding? You could never afford something like that right now. Even if you had a lot of money, gifts from the heart are a lot more romantic. The thought and energy put into something shows your sweetie that you really care -- even though you don't have a lot of money to spend. Here are a few gift ideas that you may want to use to celebrate your special occasion breaking the bank.
- If you can find them, buy a box of kiddie valentine's and write something special on each one. You can also make your own using index cards and decorating them with stickers, glitter, colorful drawings or quotes. You can also insert your own special message on these cards. Place the cards all around the house and in their stuff -- books, desk, drawers, CD cases, taped to the closet, in the car, on the fridge -- wherever your significant other is most likely to go and find them.
- Make a gift basket of some of the things they like: their favorite cookies, board game key chains, magnets from their favorite TV show, candles in a scent they really like, a bag of their favorite coffee flavor, pens in their favorite color, any kind of small knick knack that you can find that you think they would enjoy.
- Buy a nice picture frame and put a picture of the two of you in it. You can also make your own frame or spiff up an old used frame from a thrift store or swamp meet. You can either repaint an old frame or use a hot glue gun to glue a few items to make it stand out. Some suggestions for things to glue: rocks, buttons, paperclips, pennies or foreign coins, old fabric, or anything else small enough to fit on a frame.
- Make a scrapbook. You can use a photo album or an actual paper journal [with or without lines]. Put old movie stubs, photos, concert tickets, quotes, old letters, poems and other memorable items in it. You can even turn it into a timeline of your relationship together, putting things in order and getting old pictures from your sweetie's mom to include in the book.
- Make a memory box. Use an old shoe box and spiff it up with construction paper. Make designs on the paper and use stickers and glitter to make it nice. For something sturdier, you can buy a box from an office supply store or try to find something at a thrift shop that you can work with. Put old letters, dried flowers, small stuffed animals, candles, or other special items from your relationship in the box.
- Create a journal. Write snippets in it, poems, stories, quotes, letters, and other things that deal with your relationship. Leave room for expansion at the end.
- Design your own coupons [either hand drawn or computer drawn]. A few ideas are -- "free massage", "big bear hug", "french kiss", "dinner out on the town", "home cooked meal", "breakfast in bed", "weekend getaway", "kiss and make up" etc.
- Make a tape or burn a CD of songs that remind you of them or have special meaning. Design the cover of the tape/CD and make liner notes as well. In the liner notes, you can write about the meaning of each song and how it relates to them and your relationship.
- Find a nice glass jar and put 365 Hershey's kisses in it. Tie a ribbon around it with a tag that says "One kiss for each day of the year".
- Design a web page. Put up some pictures of you [and you two together]. Write some poetry. Find some mp3s of their favorite songs. Get links to some of the things they enjoy.
- Write a poem or a story for them. Print it out on a nice piece of paper for them. It's simple and from the heart.
- Make a mock-up of a newspaper. [Either by hand or if you have computer programs that make them]. Write stories about how you two met, funny antidotes, photos with captions, dedications, fake ads, etc.
- For those of people in colder weather - buy a bunch of glow in the dark stars and tea light candles. Make up your room with the stars [be sure to charge them] and light the candles. Have a picnic "under the stars". Use cheap champagne glasses, sparkling cider [or wine/champagne], and a box with a sheet draped over it and take-out from your favorite restaurant. Set the mood with your favorite music.
- Go to a bead store and find something special there [or something you know your love will like, such as a pendant]. Use it to make a necklace or a bracelet for them.
- Bake some heart shaped cookies. Write your names in the cookies. Wrap them up in a pretty box with a ribbon.
- If you have access to a video camera [or can be done in separate shots with a camera/web cam, etc], you can make up a skit of how you two met using sock puppets or other stuffed animals. For the non-video version, be sure to include captions.
- Get something engraved. It can be something as simple as a locket on a chain or a ring with the words, "I love you". Maybe you have a nickname for your special someone, or you could also use "For my Sweetie".
- Buy some massage lotion or oil and give your significant other a great massage. Light some aromatherapy candles as well to set a nice, relaxing mood.
- Send some virtual cards! Many sites have great animated cards for free! All you have to do is sign up, browse, write a note, and send away.