What Are Minerals?
What minerals do you need to stay healthy? In what foods can you find them? How do they help you stay healthy?
Minerals are important parts of your daily diet. They help keep your bones and heart healthy, and can even fight off diseases. But how do you know which minerals you need the most of? If you have a certain health problem you're trying to cure, consider this list of minerals, what they do, and what foods you can include in your diet to strengthen your mineral content.
• Calcium. This mineral forms strong teeth and bones, maintains muscles and keeps your blood pumping into your heart. Calcium in your diet can limit your chances of acquiring high cholesterol, colon cancer, or high blood pressure. Calcium is found in milk, cheese, butter, vegetables, and hard water.
• Iron. This mineral helps keep the oxygen moving through your blood. It's needed to help form hemoglobin and myoglobin. You can find iron mainly in red meat, chicken, eggs, and bread products.
• Phosphorus. This mineral helps keep your teeth, bones and cells healthy. You can get phosphorus from red meat, chicken, milk products, eggs, breads, vegetables, and fruits.
• Potassium. This mineral provides your muscles with the nutrients they need to properly contract. It also helps keep your nerves, heart, and kidney healthy. Potassium may help fight osteoporosis. You can get this mineral mainly from fruits and vegetables.
• Iodine. This mineral helps keep your thyroid gland healthy and control your metabolism. You can get iodine in milk products, fish, and bread products.
• Magnesium. This mineral assists in the development of your bones, and helps your muscles and nerves function. Magnesium is partially responsible for keeping your heart beating at a normal pace. You can find magnesium in milk, bread products, green vegetables and hard water.
• Zinc. This mineral helps your cells grow and can even help heal them when they're damaged. You need zinc to keep your immune system working properly. You can find zinc in red meat and seafood, milk and bread products.