Healthy Snacks For Kids
Next time your kids want a snack, offer them one of these healthy snacks instead.
Half of the battle in getting children to eat healthy snacks is having them ready and waiting when the kids are hungry. Next time your kids want a snack, try one of the following:
- Mix a few different kinds of cereal in a plastic bag. Add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Your kids will love the taste and there is much less sugar than in a regular sugared cereal.
- Keep jello squares on hand. Let the kids top with raisins, mandarin oranges, etc.
- Make fruit skewers with grapes, strawberries, apple chunks, etc. Let them dip this into a mixture of honey and yogurt for a sweet snack.
- Instead of "sugar water" popsicles, make your own out of orange juice. Pour into popsicle container and freeze.
- Let them try thinly sliced peanut butter on apples or wheat crackers. Top with raisins.
- Instead of high-fat chips try a granola or trail mix when they want something crunchy. Experiment with different combinations to see which your kids like best.
- Next time you have some extra watermelon, make watermelon balls and freeze. The kids love eating the little balls, and they are a great treat when the weather is warm outside.
- Next time you have an over ripe bananna, wrap in cellophane and freeze. Let your kids dip in a fruity sauce.