You Are At: AllSands Home > Food > Edible mushrooms and fungi
Although all fungi are considered plants, they all lack chlorophyll and therefore cannot manufacture their own food through photosynthesis. Some feed on organic dead matter and others are parasites of plants or animals.

The mushroom consists of an erect stem and a cap, which may be flat, conical, spherical or cylindrical and has numerous radiating gills on its undersurface in which the spores are produced.

Toadstools and mushrooms are not the same. The term mushroom is given to those that are edible, while toadstools can mean poisonous and inedible. The well known edible mushrooms belong to the genus Agaricus.

The most popular mushroom people eat is the field mushroom. It appears in September and October in woody areas and is very easy to recognise with its wide cap approx. 4-8 cm in diameter, deep-pink to brown gills and a thick stem.

Toadstools and mushrooms that are safe to eat:

- Giant puffballs; delicious when fried.
- Parasol mushrooms; found in woods, unusual to see.
- Cep; very popular.
- Chanterelle; also unusual to see.
- oyster mushroom; mostly found growing on trees
- Shaggy ink cap; distinctive appearance, very good taste.
- fairy ring champignon; have a nutty taste
- Blusher; these must be cooked before eating.
- Morel; a well-known delicacy.
- Truffle; a real delicacy and not easy to find.

To be safe when coming across any mushrooms, toadstools or fungi, never pick, eat or touch them unless you cannot identify them for certain.